Importing Data Into Strategic Movements
In today’s world, most applications are specialized. You probably won’t be able to find a single application that provides sales order entry, inventory management, route planning, dispatching and asset tracking with GPS.
Each of these major functions requires an application dedicated to doing a specific task and doing it well.
Strategic Movements provides several ways to move your data by providing simple to implement and easy to use tools.
Almost every business application provides a method for exporting data to an external file so that it can be processed by another application.
Strategic Movements supports the following file formats for data uploads:
- XLSX – Standard Microsoft Excel native format spreadsheets. Each job to be scheduled is taken from one row in the spreadseet with data taken from specific spreadsheet columns.
- CSV – Comma Separated Variable text files. These can be produced by a spreadhseet or business application. Like the XLSX file, each row contains the data for one job to be scheduled.
- XML – Extensible Markup Language text file. These can be produced by business applications with the data for each job being contained in multiple record identified by tags and values. The tag names are completely configurable in Strategic Movements to minimize the effort in creating the file within the business application.
If you need a way to take a file written from an existing application and have it automatically uploaded to Strategic Movements with no additional steps performed by the user, you can use the Strategic Movements Upload Robot.
After installing the robot, it does the following:
- Identify files from by an application when they are created in a specified folder.
- Read them and use the Process Automation Interface to send the data to Strategic Movements.
- Move the files to another folder to show that they have been processed.