This document describes how to specify the QuickBooks invoice data so that the shipment data for that invoice can be properly processed in Strategic Movements.
It also describes how QuickBooks data is mapped in Strategic Movements, and how to import the invoice data into a Plan.
QuickBooks Invoice Data Entry
When shipping data is included in QuickBooks invoices, four additional fields are shown:
- Shipping to: By default, the same as the billing address, but may be overridden, if necessary. The name, address, city, state and ZIP code must be specified.
- Ship via: If all shipments are to be processed by Strategic Movements, the All Shipments to Strategic Movements in the QuickBooks Parameters form should be checked and this field should be left blank. If other shippers are used, use the code specified in the Ship Via Selector in the QuickBooks Parameters form to allow this invoice to be seelcted for Strategic Movements processing.
- Shipping date: The date on which this shipment will be scheduled.
- Tracking no: Not used in Strategic Movements
Customers and Locations
QuickBooks, as an accounting application, works with a customer’s financial data. Strategic Movements, as a transportation application, works with locations where services are provided, or goods are received.
When a QuickBooks invoice imported, the following Strategic Movements Location fields are set:
- The Location code is set to the internal QuickBooks shipping location id.
- The Company name is set to the QuickBooks customer company name.
- The Address is set to customer’s ship to address.
Since a QuickBooks customer may have more than one shipping address, one Strategic Movements Location is created for each shipping address.
Invoices And Jobs
When a QuickBooks invoice is imported, the following Job fields are set:
- The Job code is set to the QuickBooks invoice number.
- The Work time is set to the default in the Job Defaults form.
- If the invoice ship to address is found as an existing Location, that Location is used.
- If the invoice ship to address is not found, a new Location is created with the Company name set to the QuickBooks customer name.
To import invoices to be processed on any given date, first create a new plan, select it and then click on the Jobs link. On the Jobs form, click on the Import from QuickBooks link to start the upload process.
- Since one QuickBooks customer may be used to create invoices for many ship to addresses, it may be necessary to find all Strategic Movements Locations related to a single QuickBooks customer.
To find all StrategicMovements Locations for a QuickBooks customer, enter the QuickBooks company name into the Company Name field in the location search form.
- Invoices cannot be directly identified in QuickBooks by ship date. The import process must request invoices that were created over a range of dates and then select those for the specific plan date. You can configure the date range to search on the QuickBooks Parameters form.
- You can run the upload process more than once. If an invoice has already been used to create a Job, it is ignored. To remove a job after it has been uploaded, use the Delete link for that job in the list.
There are two ways to connect Strategic Movements to QuickBooks.
- To connect to QuickBooks before importing invoices, select QuickBooks from the My Profile menu. Click on the Connect to QuickBooks button to enter the QuickBooks name and password. When connected, this form may also be used to disconnect from QuickBooks.
- If a connection is not made before starting the import process, the QuickBooks form to enter the name and password will be displayed when the process starts. To disconnect afterwards, select QuickBooks from the My Profile menu and click on the Disconnect button.