Many organizations that provide services at customer locations, or deliver goods to customer locations are being disrupted by the COVID-19 pandemic. Now may be the time to take a hard look at how transportation is handled in your organization.
The starting place is a business process review.
Assuming that you already have processes in place to purchase needed supplies and have a way to turn them into something useful, let’s just focus on how these services or products get delivered to your customers.
One question is whether or not you have the right vehicles for the job.
- If you are delivering goods, do your trucks go out half empty?
- Or are they so full that you are leasing vehicles on a regular basis just to get the work done?
- Were your vehicles selected for longer drives, but most of the drives are shorter now? Or vice versa?
- Are the vehicles fuel efficient? Is it time to consider hybrid or electric powered vehicles?
- Is it time to overhaul or replace vehicles? What is the tradeoff between higher maintenance on older vehicles vs depreciation on new ones?
Another question is how do you decide which technician visits which stops, or which vehicle make which deliveries.
- How long does it take to sort through the visits or deliveries for the next day?
- Do you sort manually by town name or ZIP code?
- How do you group stops that are in different towns but are really very close in distance?
- How you ensure that the grouping of stops is truly cost efficient?
- How do you ensure that the stops are made in most efficient manner?
The first question can only be answered by doing an analysis of your business and comparing the costs of the various fleet management options. But the second question can be answered through business process automation.
Strategic Movements is a business process automation tool that takes service orders or delivery tickets and assigns them to workers or vehicles in the most cost effective manner.
Since most business applications have a way to export sales transaction documents, very little effort is needed to connect that business application with Strategic Movements for the actual work, whether you call it trip planning, route planning or load planning.
The artificial intelligence (AI) assignment process increases efficiency by both reducing the time needed to plan the routes and by producing highly efficient routes as well.
Walzik provides, at no charge, a robotic process automation (RPA) tool that reads the files exported from your business application and sends them to Strategic Movements. It is a codeless solution; that it, you do not need any expensive or time consuming software development for implementation.
It is also risk free. You can try it for 30 days and if it does not work for any reason, there is no charge. No credit card or PO is required to get started.
Do you want cost effective routes built in a short amount of time, and want to benefit from the savings? Visit us at Strategic Movements and see what we can do for you.
Like the blog? Sign up and be the first to hear what we have to say.